Saturday, July 24, 2010

Week One

I have never been one to stay in bed so the next day I was up. I have also always been a little tearful. I cried a lot that week. Because I was happy tired sad not really sure but I did cry a lot.

On Wednesday the nurse from the birth center came to our house. She was great. Jerrin was doing well and so was I. She did that foot stick thing where they test for different disorders. He was such a good boy.

That was also the day that I met the nurse from hell. I decided to use a pediatrician in Arlington from the recommendation of my coworker and friend. I was under the impression that I was only going to weigh him however I got a lecture on breastfeeding as well as horrible looks and a very poor attitude. Jerrin had lost a few ounces which is normal. She could not do math and told me he weighed 6lbs something. The lady was completely crazy. She told me that I was training my 2 day old and should go into his room at night let him nurse for 20 minutes, not talk to him and put him right back to bed. That I also needed to stick a pacifier in his mouth and not to allow him to put his hands anywhere near his face. The list of unwanted advice went on and on.

I went out to the waiting room where my mom was waiting for me. I put him in his seat and got to the car before I lost it. I was mad, and crying at the same time. I said some not so nice things that my mother had to hear. Steve called and my mom told him that I was a little upset. He took me outside when we got home and we talked. This lady had upset me beyond belief and I could not let it go.

Needless to say we did not go back that Friday and I very kindly told whoever answered the phone that their nurse was rude, unprofessional, condescending, uneducated and we would not be back. I hoped that another new mother would not have to go through what I went through. Apparently this lady has been making new mothers feel like crap for quite some time. A good friend also had the same experience and her child is 2.

I have never really been a confrontational person but there was no way that I was going to allow someone to treat me or my child this way. I have come a long way maybe it is age but Steve would say that he is the reason why I am a little more assertive. We compliment each other well. I rein him in and he helps me to express myself and not take "crap" from people.

We called the birth center and made an appointment to see Denise the nurse on Friday of that week. She was great. She reweighed Jerrin and he was back to his birth weight. She was so kind and patient. Becky, another midwife came in and reassured us that Jerrin was perfect.

We have found a wonderful doctor who is in McKenney. McKenney is about 50 miles away but I would drive to the moon and back to have a good doctor that allows me to take an active role in my child's healthcare as opposed to telling me this is what we are doing. Dr. Chartrand is great. He even has a cool ghostbuster car in front of his office which is in this awesome old house. His family lives above his practice and his wife delivered both of their children at the birth center.

No comments:

Post a Comment