Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Labor and delivery

My official due date was June 13. At my last appointment on a Tuesday Amy, the midwife told me she thought it would be another week. Steve just knew he was coming on June 6. That day came and went. Steve took a poll on Facebook. We had so many different dates. Jodi predicted June 23. I wasnt happy about that guess.


On June 11 our dear friends Josh and Nicole were getting married. Steve was suppose to be in the wedding but told them he couldn't because of my due date. We listened to the ceremony via telephone. Bobby who was officiating the ceremony called us. It was so nice.


On June 12 we hung out at the Baker's house. I sort of felt funny. That night I was starting to see signs and felt a little crampy. On Sunday morning I woke up and told Steve that I thought I was having contractions. We called Autumn and she came over around noon. She told us to rest and other measures to take to get the labor going. One thing I remember very clearly is that I needed to clean my kitchen. There were a few things that needed to be washed. Autumn and Quinn cleaned the kitchen. We went on a few walks. I didn't say much when I was having a contraction. My mom called around 7 in the evening because I had not called that day. Steve told her what was going on and they decided to come on down.


Around 12 we decided to go to the birth center. My contractions were closer together and stronger. We didn't wake my parents. I started out in the back seat but had to get in the front before we made it to the end of the block. The drive was 40 minutes. I can tell you where every bump is on the George Bush turnpike.


When we arrived I was dialated to a 5. They told me the baby would be here in 2 hours. Two hours came and went. I walked around, got in and out of the birthing tub, sat on the potty. Steve came into the bathroom and told me that I was going to have to yell this baby out. I held onto the stair railing and did squats and screamed. With that my mucus plug came out, my water broke and I threw up.

I continued active labor for what seemed like forever. They kept telling me that he would be here in 30 minutes that came and went and later they said ten minutes. I finally said stop telling me time. I think that was the ugliest thing I said the entire labor. I really had a hard time getting the hang of pushing. They kept telling me to push and I would push with my upper body and not my lower body. They had me do all sorts of stuff.... I walked I did squats, pulled on a rope, held onto the bed post and did squats. Later Steve told me it was a good thing my friends had gotten me the pole dancing lessons for the baccalaureate party. Who knew it would come in handy during childbirth.

Jerrin was starting to crown and I remember telling Steve I couldn't do it. He said you have no other choice he is almost here just a little more. The midwife kept asking me if I wanted to look at what was going on and I said no. I finally looked and he was really just right there.

With a final push a lot of screaming which they told me I had to do. Jerrin finally arrived.



No comments:

Post a Comment